Saturday, April 28, 2012

Observations down the road

April 14, 2012

No sign of Bluebirds here yet but we now have Yellow Belly Sapsucker, Mourning Doves, lots of Robins and Juncos.
Of course the geese have been around for a few weeks and some of the smaller shore birds (I need to study Peterson's before I will say what they are) including killdeers along the edges of the sloughs.

Here are a couple of pictures.

This mound is in a gravel excavation where a nice pond has formed and we have all manner of ducks some of whom have arrived already like the Mallards and Pintails. The geese seem to really like this place to sun and watch.

 I think this is a "sign" of a Yellow Belly Sapsucker. They and their cousin the Flickers are around and seem to hit our big windows often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is a couple of weeks after your original post, but I just wanted to let you know that the bluebirds ARE BACK! I have seen several, and believe I caught sight of the first one about two weeks ago (I live north of Langham). Happy birding!

Tawna

Clayton said...

Well I have put up a few more nest boxes around the yard so am hoping. We have never seen them stop here to nest. Thanks for dropping by!