Monday, April 28, 2014

First Purple Martin house up



This house started out as an eight unit but since I have done some reading it is now a five condo space. I drilled out the center wall in each of the main body compartment and blocked the entrance on alternating ones so that the condo is double deep for protection and to keep the little guys from falling/being pushed out or being grabbed by large birds. The two condos under the roof are half the depth of the house so about 9 inches.
We continue to see snow fall here so I doubt any bird flying over would even see this. But surely sunny days are coming.

The other house requires a different post so still some work to do. The hole in the center is 4 x 4 inches so I will build a post to fit so I can raise and lower the house for inspection and cleaning. No roosting space yet so not sure if I will put any on as I have seen them on the net  in videos without.

No comments: